Put a Lid On It: Silencing Your Inner Critic

How long did it take you to own up to being a writer? In public. For most of us, even those who wrote since childhood, the step of asserting, "I am a writer", is a big one.

Why?

Because there's a little voice inside that says, "No you're not. You haven't sold anything. It couldn't possibly be any good."

That's your inner critic.

This voice pops up whenever you sit down to write. As your finger is poised to send a chapter to your critique group. When you stand up to read at an open mike. It showers writers with self-doubt, poking pinholes in the fragile balloon of literary confidence.

What to do about it?

Accept it. And write anyway. If your inner critic is going to show up, just expect it and distract yourself by writing. Every time you write, your writingimproves. Each time you share with a critique group, your craft gets refined. So write despite the critic.

Analyze it. Imagine that your fears and insecurities are attached to a series of extension cords, one connected to the other, snarled in a pile like a plate of spaghetti. Your job is to follow the cord until you find what it's plugged into. Is it a fear of success? A fear of failure? Where are the negative ideas actually  starting from?

QueryTracker has an excellent article to help you analyze what is holding you back. Part One focuses on your beliefs and their consequences. Part Two encourages you to dispute what your inner critic tells you.

Embrace it. Let's face it. You may be able to tie up your inner critic, or ignore it for awhile, but sooner or later, it will rear its ugly head. So prove it wrong. Every writer, no matter how successful, wonders if their next manuscript will prove to the world that they're not who everyone thought they were. So if the bestsellers face it every day, we might as well use it to our advantage, and put ourselves out there anyway.

How do you tame your inner critic?

9 comments:

  1. I am able to say "I am a writer" now, but not without a fair amount of stammering. Still - just owning up to it was a huge step for me, especially since, as you said, the inevitable next question is: "What have you written/published?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me awhile to say the words, too. And hopefully, we'll both have a good answer to the second question, eventually!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, in the last two months I have FINALLY started saying I'm a writer. It didn't matter that I had been continuously achieving little successes in my writing. I was so afraid people would dismiss me. Not any more.

    Sure sometimes my inner critic gets the best of me, but I am working on it. It's good to know this is something others are going through too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Amy! Isn't it surprising how accepting people are when you say you're a writer? It's the inner critic that warns us not to speak up.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I just saw you on MBC and thought I'd take a look. You've certainly nailed some of the issues. Even after having had some articles published, I hesitate. Just yesterday I was wondering, "What would it take to call myself a writer? Having something published regularly? Publishing a book? Publishing ten books? Making a regular income?" I was surprised to realize I didn't have an answer!
    --Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Debbie! As writers, we all have to face that inner critic snarling at us sometimes. And, at least for me, it's never easy. I love your suggestions. And it defnitely made me feel less alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to know we're hesitant to declare ourselves writers together! It has gotten easier over time, but it's true that even when we're technically published, we start to analyze how "official" that designation is. I think I need more duct tape for my inner critic, sometimes!


    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I call my inner critic Helga. I often tell her to shut up. One thing that helps me silencing my inner critic is writing the 3 Morning Pages before working on my WIP.

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to name your critic, Mayra! I think I need to come up with a good name for mine.

    What do you write on your Morning Pages? Do you use a prompt, or just free-write?

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails