Agent Friday: Agency Gatekeeper

Is it possible for an agent to be more honest if they're anonymous? To write unapologetically if no one knows their name? Miss Snark was certainly one of those. And today we have another.

The Agency Gatekeeper.

I don't know her name. Have no idea which agency she works for. But I appreciate her candid advice.

On rejection and acceptance. Did you ever long to see a pie chart that details the main reasons why agents say "no" to your query? Or another chart showing reasons agents say "yes"?

On querying. Let's say you've submitted a query to an agent, and subsequently revise the manuscript. How do you tactfully ask an agent to look at the revision? Want to get feedback on a query before sending to your top tier agents? Try a new method for timing your queries. She also shares a list of things not to say in your query.

On pronouns. If you've ever been annoyed by the overuse of pronouns, Agency Gatekeeper helps you recognize when they're overdone, and shares tips on how to replace them.

On other topics. How to send a proposal for non-fiction. And a couple of posts on romance: the Gatekeeper's "rules" of contemporary romance (worth your time if you need a laugh), and a short quiz to help you decide if your manuscript is romance, women's fiction, or chick-lit.

For a fun interview with Agency Gatekeeper, check out Taherah's blog.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks once again for the links, Debbie. I especially enjoyed the interview at Tahereh's! Appreciate you sending us over that way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Taherah's blog, too. It always makes me smile.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to stop by your blog more often - you have such a wealth of information! I skimmed your last five blogs or so - very helpful - and I really enjoyed the writer's space one. I am fascinated by other writers' spaces too. I have no set space - my laptop and I migrate between the bed, the sofa, and the dining room table. Maybe if I had a designated spot where I could hang notes or inspirational art I would be more productive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Margo! I do a lot of migration, myself. I brainstorm in the car, in bed, at the kitchen sink (especially when the rice is boiling!). I need to plot on paper, so that's done in the dining room, where I can spread out. Right now, I'm taking my latest plot notes and typing them into Scrivener so they're connected to the right scenes.

    I'd love to have a beautiful office, too, but it's not going to happen yet!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the information, Lorena! And your blog is excellent. I'll be back to scroll through the archives.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails