My Favorite Time of Year

This past Friday, we took our annual leaf drive. What an incredible year for color here in Colorado! The weather was perfect, and even though we hadn't thought through matching clothes, we snapped a photo of the six of us. If you saw the photo I posted on Friday, you'll see how much my kids have changed!
The aspens were absolutely brilliant this year. When the sun shines through them, they glow.
We drove to a beautiful spot overlooking South Park (that's where the TV show got its name). The valley below has herds of antelope and buffalo.
Aspens mostly turn gold, but some range into the oranges or reds, depending on the minerals in the soil. We found a few trees with variegated leaves.
One of our favorite parts of the day was relaxing along a mountain stream. We once camped on this river, so it brought back lots of good memories.
We found a huge boulder in the middle of the babbling water, with curvy 'seats' already built in. Notice the tree growing out of the boulder behind us. Its roots are secure in the tiniest of cracks, yet the tree is thriving. I'm sure there's a writer analogy in there!
After an incredible day, I'm ready to write. Don't forget about the Muse Online Writing Conference beginning today. I'll see you there!

10 comments:

  1. What amazing colors and photos! I’m so jealous, as I live in Florida, which does have its own natural beauty, but lacks the splashy colors of autumn. You live an interesting life…thinking of maybe adopting a Floridian;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos - leaves are only starting to turn now in NY. Thanks for the heads up on the MUSE Conference. Gotta check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Leah and Nancy! The leaves here at a mile and a half elevation turn early. After next week, they'll be gone. Snow will start to fly soon, and then I'll be jealous of you in Florida, Leah!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so adore the autumn. It's also my favourite time of year. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Stacy! If you take a drive this way, you'll have to stop in so I can meet your little one!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day. The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathtaking scenery. I used to take leaf drives when I lived in Massachusetts. Those are some of my favorite memories of living there.

    You have a lovely family. Enjoy the autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Janette. I adore the fall, too. Being from the East Coast myself, it was a little hard to adjust to the lack of variety in the fall colors. But the aspens have their own beauty.

    We were going to take another leaf drive yesterday, but the 8-12 inches of snow we got Saturday made the remaining leaves drop. :( Glad we got our drive in the week before!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails