The Journey to Writing: What's Yours?

Today's guest blogger is Pamela Mason, who blogs from Atlanta, Georgia (I used to live 'next door' in South Carolina!).  Pamela's post today centers on her journey to becoming a writer. Lovely words. Read on.


I named my blog writermason because it is my name. A name that has a meaning that, unlike so many things that have changed in this space age century, has not changed. 


 From Dictionary.com: 

ma-son

(noun) --a person whose trade is building with units of various natural or artificial mineral products, as stones, bricks, cinder blocks, or tiles, usually with the use of mortar or cement as a bonding agent.

Though it is my married name, 'Mason' perfectly describes me.

Growing up in a lumber company family, we knew how to build and then rebuild. People want a new porch, new deck, new pier, they buy lumber. Hurricanes and floods destroy and wash homes away, but people want to rebuild in their original neighborhood. It's home.

I can still call up the screech of the rotary saw, the clop of a falling 2x4 onto cement , the green pungent scent in the unraveled threads of sawdust. Mr.Joe would pick us up from school in a rattletrap pickup truck and take us to the 'store', where we got a beauty parlor coke from the machine and punched the lighted buttons on the ultra modern and efficient office phone. 

Then I went to LSU's School of Architecture, College of Design, and got my degree in Interior Design. I knew it all... or so I thought. 

I never imagined back then that design would be drafted digitally, much less in 3D on a portable laptop.Or that I would blog my time away-- writing and reading blogs from around the world.

So, as drafting and designing reinvented themselves digitally, so now is the publishing industry.

Now I type with a laptop instead of inking in vellum, and my digital drafts don't make me high the way fresh blue print fumes did. The t-squares and parallel bar and the nifty electric eraser that I went hungry for now gather dust in a basement closet; the ever evolving technology of laptops and smart phones now drain my bank account. And even those withdrawals are out of my hands. (Working for the day when that changes to deposits.) 

I build now with words, but they're so much more than just words.

They're emotion and drama and plot and characterization. They frame a story that I've snatched from my dreams and experiences and construct a version that makes sense, so that the reader enters and dwells inside the walls of my imagination. The exits seal off to keep away reality and sleep, and the heroes and heroines are all smart people who make stupid choices for the right reasons, all ending up in a happy ever after. 

I'm WriterMason. Welcome to my World. 

Pamela Mason is a Jane Jetson for the Digital Age; writer of Paranormal Romance, with fairy tale worlds and happy ever afters; lover of fun kitschy finds, watching her own tech toys go vintage before her very eyes. Follow her blog at WriterMason.

 Not all of us started out writing and the various journeys we take inspire others.  

What started you on the path of writing?

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful story :) Other writers are always so encouraging and inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing this!

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good question. I don't really remember a time when I didn't write. I've just always written.

    However, I didn't get serious about trying to make it my career until 2007 when I graduated university. I don't know what drove that decision, only that I couldn't stop writing, and I really, really wanted to be published.

    I often marvel at my own drive to do so, and wonder where the heck it came from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think part of my motivation to write comes from the magic of reading. I want to create that same magic for others.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think part of my motivation to write comes from the magic of reading. I want to create that same magic for others.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like I 'think' writing-- I'm always writing in my head.
    It's the getting it all down that's the trick!

    Debbie, Thank you very much for this opportunity. You gave me a beautiful presentation. I will keep tweeting and sharing your smart blog.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking along those lines today, Pamela. I feel like I filter life through writing. And getting it on paper/pixels is tough. Thank you for such a wonderful post. I think I'll do this again in a few months.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails