Summer Writing Goals: Do You Have Any?

Summer always sneaks in. Unlike New Year's Day, which happens at the same time for everyone, depending on your state or school district or college, the "start" of summer can vary by more than a month. So it's not easy to feel the pressure of the beginning of a new season.

Combine that ambiguity with warm days, beaches calling, and a completely different schedule, and it's hard to buckle down and work on that waiting WIP.

I browsed around to find what others have posted about summer goals. Read on for a little inspiration.

If joining a group is motivational, there are several to choose from. Sometimes having accountability forces us to maintain the goals we've set.

Margo Berendson shares about a "Summer in the City" group that ought to do the trick. And Karen Mahoney has started Kaz's Summer Camp.

Limiting online activity can boost available hours for writing. I find it helps me to set a daily writing goal that must be met before I go online. Mary Ann Loesch lists 7 Summer Writing Goals for the Neurotic. Professor Beej recommends treating writing like a job--even in the summer.

Make sure to keep reading. Too many writers get so busy between writing, editing, and networking, that they fail to set aside time to be inspired by well-written words. Alex J. Kane lists not only his summer writing goals, but his reading goals, too. Sarah Allen advises taking a book with you everywhere you go.

Listing goals might be the best way to make sure they happen. My main goal is to write at least 1K per day before I go online. I'm planning to read at least one book a week. And blogging, of course, but the writing will come first.

What are your summer goals?

9 comments:

  1. I haven't visited you in MONTHS! and imagine my surprise to stop by and see you've mentioned me. Yay!!! Now... setting goals is easy to do. Keeping them - ESP. during all of summer's distractions - that is hard to do! I find the only thing that keeps me motivated is ACCOUNTABILITY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you, Margo. Hope you're able to get both writing and relaxation in this summer!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making writing daily a priority has been my goal for months. I've cut down on some of the Internet roaming. A few family events and a week of volunteering at VBS also cuts into "my time," but experiencing new things will fuel the writing fires (I believe) when all the events are over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for asking about our summer writing goals, Debbie! You have a way of making me feel like you're walking alongside me during my writing journey, and I thank you for extending your virtual hand to us.

    Treating writing like a job is what works best for my personality, so that's my M.O. this summer. And reading, reading, reading, which is one of the best writing teachers.

    Have a lovely week. Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacy and Janette, that's what I'm trying to do. Writing and reading. Company just left, and I'll have some days where most of my kids are off at work, so the house should be relatively quiet. I just need to keep myself disciplined to accomplish my goals before goofing off.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got goals coming out my ears!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Trisha! I hope you accomplish them all.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the idea of writing a certain amount before going online. To me, that would be the perfect way to start my day. June is going to be quite hectic as I'm moving to a different apartment, but come July first I fully intend on setting writing goals for the summer. Particularly, dusting off my WIP and getting back to work on it, and revising my first screenplay. I'm quite excited! I feel like the move will be the clean slate I need for a fresh perspective on my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It works really well for me, Krissy, but the most important thing I have to do is post my blog the night before. If it's not done, and I have to write it in the morning, it's so easy to get sucked into reading blogs online.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails