What did I do last weekend?

What a weekend! I'm so sad the Pikes Peak Writers Conference is over, but I don't think I could have continued at that pace for one more day. I'm still recovering.

Workshops
The workshops I attended (between my volunteer responsibilities) were fantastic. Among them:
  • Hooking your readers in one paragraph--or less, with historical novelist David Liss. Liss covered famous and not-so-famous first lines and paragraphs, analyzing what makes them entice the reader, and which ones (surprisingly) don't do the job well.
  • Creating Dazzling Worlds, with YA author Laura Resau. Though I'd never heard of Resau, I was really impressed with her writing exercises to help bring freshness and dimension to both storyworlds and characters. Her excerpts from her books made me want to go read them.
  • How to avoid the sophomore slump, with Barry Eisler. He explained techniques to make your second novel as good as, or better than the first.
  • Ghostwriting Panel. This one was interesting, with three authors talking about their experiences both working for book packagers (and ghostwriting for some seriously famous people), and using your writing skills to barter for services. Something to think about.
  • The Neuroscience of Writing, with DeAnna Knippling. Such a fascinating workshop, helping writers understand exactly why they should avoid cliches, among many other topics.
  • Plot, structure, and pushing your characters, with agent Hannah Bowman. A seriously helpful and interactive workshop, with a plot diagram you've never seen before--but it makes so much sense!
Pitches & Critiques
I pitched both formally and informally--one of the best things about going to a conference!
  • Pat Van Wie, editor at Bell Bridge Books. Though Belle Bridge hasn't published YA historical fantasy, Pat was willing to take a look at my manuscript and see what she thought.
  • Barry Goldblatt, agent with Goldblatt Literary. Though Barry has represented both fairy tale retellings (Shannon Hale) and YA historical fantasy (his wife, Libba Bray), he felt that the market wouldn't support more books in the fairy tale genre.
  • Hannah Bowman, agent with Liza Dawson Associates. I caught her in the hall and asked her opinion, and she disagreed with Goldblatt's assessment. She recently sold a Beauty and the Beast retelling, and the publisher is marketing it specifically as a fairy tale. She'd like to see my pages.
  • Pam van Hylckama Vlieg, with Larsen Pomada Literary Agents. I spoke to her while driving her to the airport. Like Bowman, she feels there is still room for well-told fairy tales. She'd like pages, too. And while I was talking to Pam, I had author and actress Amber Benson (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) in the back seat. Such a crazy weekend!
Meals
Meals at conferences are a great way to network with other attendees, and spend time with faculty in a more relaxed setting.
  • Lunch with SourceBooks editor Deb Werksman was so much fun. Though she edits romance exclusively, she was so kind to genuinely engage the three male sci-fi writers who happened to sit at the table. I also had a great time going along on her Colorado tour and yarn shopping.
  • Nicole Resciniti, agent with The Seymour Agency, is so well-read and smart. I think I'll definitely query her.
  • Dinner with author Libba Bray was amazingly fun, as was her keynote speech the next night. She could easily make a living as a stand-up comic. And she was kind enough to sit down with my daughter and her friend and work through their story worlds.
  •  Barry Eisler (who went from traditional publishing to indie) gave a keynote that shared the different sides of publishing. Some industry professionals did not take it well. If you want to know more, read the recap on Joe Konrath's blog.
 All in all, it was a fantastic weekend. I can't say enough about how much fun it is to volunteer at a conference. Have you ever volunteered at a conference?

20 comments:

  1. I thought about you all weekend, really wishing I could have gone this year. Ah, maybe next. Can't wait to hear more in person. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I would have loved to have had you there! Next year for sure.

      ~Debbie

      Delete
  2. You rocked as Ballroom Babe, Debbie!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shannon. You and the rest of the Ballroom Team made it so much easier than MK and I expected!

      ~Debbie

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a pretty full weekend. And I'm still jealous you got to meet Amber Benson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we need to get you there for next year. It would be so much fun!

      ~Debbie

      Delete
  4. Oh, I missed some good workshops. Thanks for all your work throughout the conference. It was fun and exciting. I spent this morning connecting with some writers I exchanged cards, etc. with. I was wiped out on Monday. Now, I'm officially ready to jump back in to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed some good ones, too. I really want to listen to the DVD. I want to get back into writing, but I have company coming tomorrow for a week, and it's time to stop procrastinating on planning my son's high school graduation. I'll have to fit it in somewhere!

      ~Debbie

      Delete
  5. Debbie, I had so much fun working with you and MK this weekend. I can't wait to be on your team again.

    Congrats on the good feedback you heard and here's hoping it gets you a step closer to your dreams.

    And, wow, I had no idea Barry Eisler's keynote was so controversial. I thought his speech was very interesting and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evangeline, it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without you! Keep me posted on what you hear with your submissions. I'm hoping to get my act together sometime soon. Yes, Eisler's speech really made some waves. I didn't know Goldblatt & Fairbanks & Vlieg were tweeting madly while he was talking!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful experience, Debbie. I haven't volunteered at a large conference like this, but I know the amount of work involved. I have organized day-long conferences for teachers in my former school district.

    These last two years I've attended the San Miguel Writers' Conference in San Miguel de Allende. When I'm at a conference, I want to hear, see, and do everything. I'm exhausted when it's over. I can imagine how you felt when yours was over.

    Take care and enjoy your company and your son's graduation.

    Cheers,
    Annis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you know how tired I am, Annis! We just enjoyed the first performance of Beauty and the Beast, and it was wonderful. But right now, I'm heading for bed! Thanks for stopping by.

      ~Debbie

      Delete
  8. Wow, the conference sounds like it was enlightening and fun! I haven't been to a conference but see them in my future. ;-)

    This is inspiring. I would have loved the workshop about opening paragraphs that worked and didn't work.

    Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fun. I hope you get to go soon--don't wait till you feel 'ready' for a conference. They're great at any stage!

      ~Debbie

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your advice. The idea of a conference is intimidating, so it's comforting to hear they are a good idea at any stage. :-)

      Delete
    3. There are always workshops for writers at each level, and it's so energizing to rub shoulders with people who have the same passion.

      ~Debbie

      Delete
  9. Wow Debbie! What an exciting week you've had. It sounds like you've collected a pocketful of gold nuggets on writing. I've never been to a writers conference. It sounds amazing, and it also sounds like you made some great connections. My best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have such a great time and learn so much. I hope there's one in your future!

      ~Debbie

      Delete
  10. So jealous... especially of being the same car as Amber Benson! I did get to meet her at a Buffy convention once, but didn't really get to chat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a very cool and laid back person. But doing a keynote speech really unnerved her! She was so glad it was over with. :)

      ~Debbie

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails