The Downside of the Kindle

For those of you with e-readers, I'm wondering if you have the same "problem" I do--the temptation to read instead of write. Like many others, having an e-reader is making me read more.

The convenience of having hundreds of books in my purse allows me to snatch moments to read during the day when I might have wasted my time. Waiting rooms, during car repairs and kids' music lessons--I can spend this time reading.

I have access to more books than I normally would. I've bought many, downloaded some for free, and also read electronic galleys for review. It seems I'll never run out of books to read.

And therein lies the problem. Some of my reading is taking the place of moments when I used to write. Yes, I could argue that reading broadly is helping me as a writer, but if I'm really honest, there are days when I'd rather read than write. It's easier. And I can convince myself I'm accomplishing something.

If I ever get the chance to get away to a lonely cabin to write. I'd better not bring my Kindle. How about you? How do you resist the temptation to read (or something else) instead of write? (by the way, I was good this weekend. I got down several thousand new words.)

10 comments:

  1. I treat my writing like it's an actual job. I show up on time, and only take breaks when I'm 'legally' allowed (like lunch), and I don't leave me desk until the work-day is done (usually that 9-12, but can often go longer... overtime).

    I find it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such self-discipline! Working at home with all the interruptions (and kids around) makes it hard, but the Kindle is an added temptation.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need a schedule like S.M. I still don't have a kindle reader and find it difficult to read on the computer, because I feel like I should be "writing" while at the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both, Stacy. I need a schedule (and the rest of the family needs to follow it!), and I hate to read fiction on the computer.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have an ereader...yet...so I don't have this problem. Though I do read a fair bit anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, I have the Kindle and Nook and yes I am reading a lot. I like that I get to read self-published books...books that I wouldn't normally find in the book stores and libraries.
    I tend to get lost on social networks and blogs...when I should be writing. How do I resist this? I haven't figured that out yet. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trisha-just know that when you get one, you'll have to be disciplined!

    Leah-that's a good point. I've been able to buy and read the books my online friends have published. I wouldn't have been able to without an ereader.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Article You deserve Million of traffic so here is great opportunity for you
    best internet montreal

    ReplyDelete
  9. NIKSA ice pack for kneeice pack for knee, 30% more gel content, keep colder, faster relief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the valuable information you provide on your articles. Get the best Cash for cars deal here.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails